PATRIOT Specifications Add to Favorites
1961 Burger 72 Cockpit Motoryacht Vessel Overview
The 1961 BURGER 72’ COCKPIT MOTOR YACHT PATRIOT is a magnificent example of a classic BURGER MOTOR YACHT. The cockpit is part of the original Jack Hargrave design and not an extension. Unlike Burger’s other Sparkman Stephens designs that do not feature a cockpit, the BURGER 72’ MOTOR YACHT offers a great deal of versatility. 1961 BURGER 72’ COCKPIT MOTORYACT ,PATRIOT was originally built as SIS W for the Walgreens family and has enjoyed a long, proud history of ownership through the years. PATRIOT is a 1961 BURGER 72’ COCKPIT MOTOR YACHT that has been loved and continually upgraded having undergone multiple refits to varying degrees. The features of 1961 BURGER 72’ COCKPIT MOTOR YACHT PATRIOT can be found below along with a brief summary of PATRIOT's features and highlights followed by a descriptive walkthrough.
Below please find a brief summary of PATRIOT’S features and highlights followed by a descriptive walkthrough.
- Repowered with CAT 3406 475 HP main engines 1986
- Extensive refit in 1993 as MIMA V
- Custom flybridge added by Rybovich Spencer in 2000
- 2003 re fit by current owner
- Great layout 3 staterooms plus crew, 3 heads, 2 Salons, 1 fwd, 1 aft
- New exhaust risers and manifolds 13/14
- Cutlass bearings 2015
- Updated GARMIN electronics package 2017
- New Bimini top 2017
- Davit rebuilt 2017
- Teak decks and varnish trim in excellent shape 2017
- Masthead lowers for GREAT LOOP travel or low undercover storage
- Vessel paint in good shape
- Yearly bottom jobs and professional maintenance
The interior of PATRIOT was completely redone 1993. New woodwork, partition bulkheads, passage doors, soles, and headliners were all renewed. A combination of Honduras mahogany, birdseye maple, black lacquered highlights, and a teak and holly sole were utilized to create an elegant yet easy to maintain interior design.
Patriot is an easy vessel to board regardless of the docking situation. If on a floating dock the cockpit entrance is an easy transition. Boarding can also be done amidships port or stbd via boarding ladder. For our walkthrough let’s board via the cockpit.
Boarding via the cockpit is simple thanks to the teak swim platform, transom door and stern lift gate. The cockpit design makes stern line handling a breeze. The space is functional for fishing, diving or just relaxing. There are built in bench seats to either side of the center stairway. A deck hatch in the middle of the cockpit provides access to the storage lazarette, which also houses the engine starting batteries as well as enabling service to the rudder assemblies and trim tab reservoir. The transom lift gate door and teak swim platform are also great for swimming, diving and easy deployment of water sports toys. There is a stairway that leads up from the cockpit, through a door and into the aft salon.
The air conditioned aft Salon was formerly an open air aft deck before refit. She is now fully enclosed on four sides, with tinted windows all around. There are port and starboard wing doors leading to the outside walkways forward, while a center door in the aft bulkhead leads to steps down to the cockpit. To port is a leather upholstered sofa seating area and coffee table. To starboard is beautiful wood cabinetry housing a flat screen TV, audio visual equipment, storage, a wet bar, fridge and ice maker. The fwd bulkhead has 2 barrel chairs and nautical décor items. (The American bald eagle artwork on the bulkhead does not convey with the sale of Patriot.) There is great visibility with an abundance of natural light from the wrap around windows. Wing doors on either side will lead back out to the exterior walk around foredeck. The interior doorway entrance to the pilothouse forward is offset to starboard.
The pilot house is traditional in style and updated in technology. Her high gloss teak finish is everything you would expect in a Burger Pilot house to look like including the large nautical ship’s wheel and polished stainless compass binnacle. Port and starboard doors lead out to the teak foredeck. Off to starboard there is a passageway and small stairwell leading down to the lower salon. There is an interior stairwell leading up to the flybridge. Pilot house electronics include:
- Updated GARMIN 4212 multi-function display
- Updated Auto pilot
- Datamarine speed, temp, depth display
- Furuno LS 6000 depth sounder
- Horizon VHF radio
- Ritchie compass
- Rudder angle indicator
- C map plotter
- Engine synchronizer controls
The flybridge was added by Rybovich Spencer Shipyard in 2000. Her upper helm station offers great visibility for piloting, comfortable seating and shade protection. Her equipment and highlights include:
- Marquipt low profile electric/hydraulic davit
- Hinged custom radar arch
- Frigibar freezer/refrigerator on flybridge
- Bimini top
- Custom Pompanette double helm chair
- Covers for helm chair, flybridge console, and L seating built in
Full instrumentation including……Robertson AP20 autopilot, Panish controls, Trim tab controls,
UPDATED Garmin 4212 GPS/Plotter, Horizon Spectrum VHF, Depth sounder, Searchlight, Synchronizer controls and a Compass.
Heading back down from the bridge through the lower pilot house we can now take the stbd side passageway and stairs to the lower salon.
The LOWER SALON AREA, features a broad expanse of teak and holly flooring and natural finished Honduran mahogany woodwork. The bulkhead veneers are sequence matched, with crafted solid trim detail and companion window valances. The salon has been opened up to the galley area forward with a low, pillared railing, painted in gloss black. There is salon seating to port and starboard, including an Oriental styled three door credenza positioned against the aft bulkhead. Adding further to the Oriental flavor, are two ceramic urns topped with lighting fixtures. A white leather sofa is positioned to port, with two matching occasional chairs to starboard, a black lacquered hutch between them, a glass topped black lacquered cocktail table in the center, atop an Oriental rug. Across the forward trunk section of the salon are three, nautical portlights, original to the yacht.
The GALLEY is forward and down four steps from the lower salon. It, has been nicely updated in keeping with the rest of the vessel. There is a large upholstered dinette to stbd, counter top and appliances to port. She has everything a shipboard gourmet would need including:
- Upper and lower mahogany cabinetry
- White Corian counter tops
- Integral Corian sinks
- Booth style dinette with white leatherette upholstery
- Hotpoint refrigerator/ freezer
- Galley Maid 3 burner electric range with oven
- Samsung microwave
- Keurig Coffee maker
- Toastmaster Toaster Oven
- Insta Hot water dispenser
- Garbage disposal
Forward of the galley is the CREW STATEROOM with upper & lower berths and a private head with separate stall shower. The washer and dryer are built in and enclosed, opposite the crew berths. The mahogany paneling and doors extend into the crew area, as does the teak and holly sole.
The ENGINE ROOM access is from the Galley by way of a walk down stairway on the port side, with the machinery space below the lower salon deck. The engine room machinery space is exceptionally clean and well updated. She has been repowered with twin 3406 CAT engines that provide 475 hp each. A summary of other engine room ship systems include:
- Two Northern Lights generators, 1 20 kW and 1 15KW (6779 and 7928 hrs)
- Lunaire reverse cycle, chilled water air conditioning, 5 ton and 3 ton units
- Digital SMR air conditioning zone controls(6) plus (2) manual control zones
- (3)Vacuflush heads with holding tanks
- Automatic and manual fire control systems
- Engine oil change system
- FloScan fuel monitors
- Electronic digital tachometers
- Walker Airseps
- Raw water sea strainers
- (8) automatic & manual bilge pumps
- Kahlenberg air horns with compressor
- 110V fresh water pump
- Fresh water pressure tank
- Dual engine room bilge blowers
- Engine alarms and emergency stops
- Racor fuel filters, engines and generators
- Engine room mechanical gauges, mains and generators
- Underwater and side vent engine exhausts
- Custom engine room insulation
- Diamond plate engine room floor covering
- Strong Seal dripless stuffing box propeller shaft seals
- 3:1 reduction gear transmissions
- Glendinning engine synchronizer
If we return back up to the lower salon we can also access the Owner and Guest accommodations via a small stair case leading down.
The MASTER STATEROOM is all the way aft, with a centerline queen berth, built-in cabinets, vanity, and many drawers. The head is an Ensuite head with Corian counter and integral sink, decorator fixtures, and Corian shower enclosure. There are two cedar lined hanging lockers, plus a recessed area for television, stereo controls, and telephone. The joinery work in the master stateroom is expertly done, pickled birdseye maple with double roundover moldings and curved wall panels. The soles are clear maple planks with a durable, pickled finish.
The woodwork forward of the master stateroom leading into the guest rooms is natural tone Honduran mahogany, with teak and holly soles. There are two GUEST STATEROOMS just forward of the master, which share a head with stall shower. The PORT GUEST STATEROOM has twin lower berths. Opposite to starboard is the second guest stateroom with upper and lower berths.
- 12V/32V/110/220V Systems
- 12V & 32V automatic battery chargers
- Battery parallel switch
- All new 8D batteries
- Two Northern Lights generators, 1 20 kW and 1 15KW (6779 and 7928 hrs)
- 110volt interior lighting
- 12 & 32volt courtesy lighting
- 32volt emergency lighting
- Panasonic integrated phone system for land line and cellular
- Direct TV satellite receiver SAT55
MISC Deck equipment
- Foredeck teak dunnage boxes(2)
- Foredeck builtin bench seat
- Galley Maid electric windlass
- Bow anchor roller system
- Navy anchor with chain
- Teak bow rail with double lifelines
- Polished aluminum stanchions
- Double boarding gates, Port and Starboard
- Fresh water wash down system
- Halogen arch mounted searchlight
- Escape hatch to cockpit from Master Stateroom
Owner’s personal effects are excluded from the sale.