1981 Hatteras 70 Cockpit Motoryacht Description
Welcome aboard the 1981 Hatteras 70’ Cockpit Motor Yacht “Sea Dragon”. She started her life as a 61 MY and had a nine-foot extension. This process was routinely performed in south Florida to factory standards by Hatteras of Lauderdale. The aft deck, along with the hardtop and windows were extended 4 feet to offer an additional area of enjoyment. The cockpit was extended 5 feet with molded steps up to the aft deck. The addition allowed for a fantastic dive/storage locker on the forward bulkhead of the cockpit and an additional 500-gallon fuel tank. The 1981 Hatteras 70′ Cockpit Motor Yacht “Sea Dragon” has spent the last 20 years cruising, fishing, and diving the Caribbean. She just ran to Dania Beach, Florida on her own bottom from St. Thomas. (6/22)
SEA DRAGON Specifications Add to Favorites
1981 Hatteras 70 Cockpit Motoryacht Vessel Overview
“Sea Dragon” has been utilized as a family style liveaboard island adventure boat. This 70’ Cockpit MY has a massive dive locker that can accommodate 8 full dive tanks with a dive compressor and storage for other water toys and fishing equipment. Her cockpit is versatile and has room to lounge, fish or dive. The transom door opens to a swim platform. There is a semi spiral staircase stbd side in the cockpit that leads up to the covered aft deck. The aft deck is a great spot to sit in the shade and enjoy your morning coffee or an afternoon cocktail. A set of double swing doors open to the main salon.
The main salon aboard SEA DRAGON is full beam allowing for a more voluminous interior. Comfortable, social and air conditioned, the salon creates a nice entertaining space. With a fresh vision, she is ready for redecorating by her new owner. She features a large flatscreen TV, wet bar, ice maker and ample seating.
Continuing forward from the salon brings us to the Galley and dinette area.
The galley is located to port and has been partially updated over the years. She has a full-size stand-up GE refrigerator freezer. Other appliances include a GE microwave, Black + Decker Coffee Maker, Modern Maid Oven, GE 4 burner electric cook top, Kenmore Dishwasher, and a Black + Decker Toaster Oven. Across from the galley to stbd is a U-shaped dinette.
The pilothouse is just forward of the galley. There are sliding doors to access the foredeck on both sides. This facilitates line handling and provides access to the bow seating area. The lower helm would benefit from some fresh electronics. She does feature a functional chart plotter, VHF radio and engine room cameras.
The lower accommodations aboard SEA DRAGON are accessible from the pilot house stbd side stairwell leading below. At the base of the stairwell in the raised foyer there is a converted open double berth perfect for children. There are 4 cabins aboard this 1981 Hatteras MY. Forward there are twin bunks with a full head and closet. To port we have an additional guest room with twin bunks. There is another set of stairs leading aft. Walking aft, on the starboard there is a Westinghouse stacked washer and dryer. On the portside there is a stateroom with two twin beds and a closet. Across from the stateroom is another full head.
SEA DRAGON features the split engine room layout that was very popular in the classic Hatteras design. On both sides of the hallway, we have an engine room door. Each engine room houses a Detroit Diesel 12V71 series engine rated at 650HP each.
Continuing down the hallway aft will bring us to the full beam Master Stateroom. Just as you enter the master, there is a huge cedar lined walk-in closet to port. The spacious master stateroom has an island king size berth, ample storage, 9 drawer dresser and a vanity. The master stateroom has a private full head.
Back up in the pilot house there is a ladder on the port side that will bring us to the expansive flybridge of Sea Dragon. The Flybridge offers a large U-shaped seating area perfect for entertaining, open air upper helm station and aft boat deck with dinghy and davit.Maintenance Upgrades
Sea Dragon can best be described as a running refit candidate. She ran on her own bottom from St. Thomas to Florida 6/22. She needs attention to her exterior cosmetics, mechanical systems, interior soft goods, and navigation systems. She would make a great liveaboard vessel post refit, a great running AIR B&B or adventure fish/dive charter vessel. She is priced fairly and is a ton of boat for the money. You would be hard pressed to find a better refit option of 70 feet at this value.
Below please find some of past maintenance upgrades and the more recent work reported by owner to have been performed.
- 4500 hours since inframe overhaul in 1997
- 50hp hydraulic WESTMAR bow thruster added
- (2) 20 KW northern lights gensets, (1) 10K hrs. (2) 6k hrs exhaust hoses changed 100 hours ago
- Stbd transmission rebuilt, port is original
- Air conditioning upgrades performed
- Dive compressor installed
2020 Drydock Maintenance
- Refasten (with all new bolts) swim platform mounting brackets at transom. Provide sacrificial anodes at bracket support struts.
- Remove, recondition, balance propellers, Refit, prime and anti-foul.
- Renew sacrificial anodes at prop shafts, rudder blades, trim tabs and bow prop
- Drop stabilizers fins, inspect and renew seals as necessary
- Remove and recondition bow thruster props
- Acid clean, wax and polish topsides
- Aggressive sand and paint bottom (2 coats + 3 at belly band)
- Clean, prime and anti foul running gear. Clean and repack shaft exit glands. Renew band clamps at shaft logs.
- Recondition and lubricate all sea valves
- Renew sea valve at port engine intake
- Recondition and reseal sea strainers at propulsion engine intakes
- Recondition (Seals, Impellors) on both propulsion engines
- Renew both sea water cooling pumps for AC circuits. Upgrade hoses as necessary
- Renew primary hydraulic hose at Naiad tank in port engine space
- Renew primary hydraulic hose at bow thruster heat exchanger
- Renew sea water hose and band clamps (sea valve to strainer) at forward toilet pump intake
- Repair blister in fiberglass at boat deck
- Renew aft Bimini top at fly bridge
SEA DRAGON Virtual Walkthrough
Hatteras Yachts has led the industry for more than 50 years in the production of luxury motor yachts and sportfishing convertible yachts. Based in North Carolina, USA, Hatteras Yachts revolutionized the boatbuilding industry after making the first fiberglass yacht over 40 feet. Ever since that initial breakthrough vessel, Hatteras Yachts has been dedicated to passionately creating boats that confidently cut through the waters and give their owners the ultimate experience. Currently, Hatteras develops its exclusive brand in its amazing shipyard with over 280,000 square feet of fabrication space for its top-level naval designers, architects, engineers, craftsman, carpenters, and more to produce the finest yachts on the water.
HMY Yacht Sales
Since 1979, HMY Yacht Sales has been among the most trusted brokerage firms in the industry. For decades we have continued to instill confidence in our clients who choose to buy and sell yachts with us. Our goal is to provide you with the highest level of customer satisfaction combined with HMY’s renowned yachting expertise. When you choose your next brokerage firm, make sure to select the one that is the most experienced and knowledgeable in yacht sales. HMY’s expansive network of yacht sales professionals, support teams, yachting industry experts, and customers have been our recipe for success; and we’ve earned the trust of our clients from around the world. In 2022, HMY Yachts was recognized as the #1 North American Princess Yachts Dealer.
HMY Sales and Marketing Network
HMY Yachts is known for delivering sales results. We sell a pre-owned yacht on average every 12 hours. With accelerated sales results like this – there’s no better firm you can trust to sell your yacht. We invest heavily in online marketing, and exposing your yacht to the right target buyer is one of HMY’s strengths. Plus, we activate and engage a high-performance network of brokers and buyers with walkthrough videos, virtual tours, MLS, email, magazines, digital campaigns, and “Go Live with HMY”, for real-time exposure. HMY’s accelerated yacht sales approach generates leads and sales at record levels. We connect buyers with our brokers quickly – to get your yacht sold. Call HMY today. We’ll put a world-class sales and marketing strategy together to sell your yacht so you can have peace of mind.
- Established in 1979 and family-owned by Steve Moynihan
- Recognized as one of the largest new and pre-owned yacht dealerships in the USA
- 50+ yacht sales professionals at 14 locations from Ocean Reef, Florida to Newport, Rhode Island
- HMY has a strong presence in high-profile marina locations
- New yachts for sale: Viking, Valhalla Boatworks, Princess, OKEAN, and Two Oceans Power Catamarans
- HMY was recognized as the #1 North American Princess Yachts Dealer in 2022
- All-New Outboard Boating Center featuring premium fishing and cruising outboard boats
- HMY is on pace to sell over 500 pre-owned yachts and over 150 outboard boats this year
- HMY averages a yacht sale every 12 hours
- Premiere exhibitor at the largest boat shows in America
- A global network of sportfish, motor yacht, superyacht, and charter customers
- Sponsors of yachting, fishing, and showcase events throughout the year
- HMY has an in-house Luxury Charter Vacations division
- Substantial investment in marketing, advertising, and digital
- Yachts for sale – see the wide range of online inventory showcased here
- HMY.com – Among the top yacht search engines